• 1. Can my team consist of non-HKU member(s)?

Yes. However, he Person-in-Charge must be a HKU member aged 35 or below by 26 Jan, 2018. The person-in-charge should possess a key role and have substantial control of the submission.

For the purposes of this programme, a HKU member is defined as:

a) HKU current full‐time or part‐time student,OR
b) HKU graduate.


  • 2. Will awardees be required to implement their awarded projects?

Yes. They are expected to form their own company and devote substantial amount of time to execute their business proposal with the seed fund awarded.

For the $100K award, HK$50,000 shall be distributed to each of the winning teams after the announcement of the final result, and the remaining HK$50,000 will be distributed to each winning team when the interim report is approved by the organiser.


  • 3. Can I apply the fund with a project which is a registered company?

Yes, the company in the submission shall NOT have been registered before 26 Jan 2015.


  • 4. Can the seed fund awarded be used for salary or for renting office space for my business venture?

The seed fund can be used to pay salary for staff providing the staff concerned is NOT the person-in-charge or team member listed in the submitted application form. You can also use the seed fund to pay rent for office, warehouse, etc. which is considered necessary in running your business.


  • 5. Can RPg students apply for this Fund?

Yes, RPg students can apply but need to check for any necessary approval before submitting applications.


  • 6. Can I apply for the Fund on my own without any team member?

Individual is allowed to submit their own proposal. Yet, team with members from multi-discipline with diverse and relevant backgrounds complementing each other is preferred.


  • 7. Can I participate in more than one team?

Yes, each individual is allowed to join one team as person-in-charge but can join more than one team as a member. Each team can ONLY submit one application.


  • 8. Can team members be changed?

For person-in-charge, change is not allowed.

For other team members, change request will be assessed to see whether the reasons are strong enough. Approval will be granted on an exceptional basis.


  • 9. What should I do if my submission is with the use of HKU’s intellectual property or student works?

You should first approach the inventors concerned. Once your project receive an award, a licensing agreement shall be entered into with HKU before using the HKU intellectual property.

No Comments

Leave a Comment: